U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: curves and gum and Christopher James book

Re: curves and gum and Christopher James book

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: curves and gum and Christopher James book
  • From: Michael Koch-Schulte <mkochsch@gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 16:00:46 -0600
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com;s=gamma;h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references;bh=dq6Qk7Ht8QmIL6oT9W7HTZneaYtFbEnIMpWVh9kuYfQ=;b=g/Z3FTIZqHQm6jotiwws+u/HcFMKK/KJUV6ZN/oKciRN8kZ54RC/J9C/GDxucBl8x6GpjVhaxqEmOBJ2Ak7RTaKKqIXwi1lh7fmF5qn/GcVExrMPQ8o5k1G3vtmup5llHSfxrwnnhU/NPJJe/aYci8VonkzYr5xLJ2s2QXCS990=

Yes. It should be inverted. But you have to note which "mode" the curve window is in. If you give a handful of curves a quick glance they may look the same. You have to REALLY pay attention to the curve mode being used to display the curve. A curve calculated for graphic mode (applied to a positive) will, on the surface, look exactly the same as a curve applied to a negative -- BUT since PDN users generally work in binary mode it is this change of mode which functions to invert the curve.
  In the end the effect is generally the same. Ink (read: density) is diverted via the curve toward the dark-mid tones and print shadows in the negative to compensate for printer's ink profile. When someone figures out how to take a curve and programmatically graft it onto a custom ICC profile life will becomes much simpler for digital negative "curvers" because it'll become as simple as selecting a paper in the print dialogue.

~m