U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: UV units for alt processes demos

Re: UV units for alt processes demos

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: UV units for alt processes demos
  • From: gumprint@gmail.com
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 20:49:09 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com;s=gamma;h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references;bh=dScOlGkVfkDpp+/0LJHp1T/3p3I9ObXpZJKkB5eAIrQ=;b=G2SMvXE1vs643SYhpCT+kl1YlUjKNKNGue6h7gt9e339XAFrrxG6MCb/RJPPd6CqVmqN8JAc+ziX2wlxBf7rIgO4rm/ID0JMcED9IsLuhncffJo0QgotY1MfLK+nkX69CvrU0R1YWQL2JFOVstGlrV8rSe6/kvZbb6qCqodk7eE=

Thanks John, Gordon

I would like to make a device that will ultimately take 16X20 that can be closed up. John's allows for the contact frame to be inserted below the bulbs but it is not sealed and I wondered if this would be a disadvantage for demonstrations. I had one made years ago that is not portable. It is 8  bulbs attached to a piece of wood that took the place of a shelf in one of my darkroom kitchen-like cabinets. The bulbs point down and the unit could be lowered or raised depending on my exposure needs. The best part is that while it is on, the doors can be closed and the room can still be used.

I am not a builder/electrician but I wonder about taking a multi-drawer wheeled wood cart and converting the top drawer to the exposure device and the second drawer to a printing frame. The lower drawers could hold the chemistry, papers, ect.

What have others used for demonstrations when not in their own darkrooms?

Thanks for your help

Carole

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 1:25 PM, Gordon J. Holtslander <gordon.holtslander@usask.ca> wrote:
On Wednesday 12 March 2008 1:39:22 pm gumprint@gmail.com wrote:
> Greetings
>
> Please direct me to a site for a portable (smallish or on wheels) UV unit
> and/or plans for one.
> Thanks!
>
> Carole
>
> Large Format and Alternative Photographic Processes Gathering (Meeting
> monthly in Metro Washington DC)
> www.photogathering.blogspot.com

My first UV printer was very simple.  I took a four lamp fluorescent strip
lamp and screwed 3/4 inch thick pieces of plywood on the short ends.  These
acted as "legs"   The pieces were as high as the fxiture sides plus ~ 4.5
inches The unit sat on a couter top- with the tubes facing down- the legs
held the unit so the tubes were three inches above the couter top.  I put 350
bl tubes in it.  The four lamp fixture was just wide enough to expose an 8
inch wide strip.  I was able to make 8 x10 with this.

What's the biggest print you would want to make with one of these?  Do you
want to be able to expose more than one print at a time?

I found that 4 ft UV tubes were cheapest locally.

Gord
--
Gordon J. Holtslander           Dept. of Biology
gordon.holtslander@usask.ca     University of Saskatchewan

--
Carole Hollander