U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Gumming big

Re: Gumming big

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: Gumming big
  • From: Keith Gerling <keith.gerling@gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 10:34:06 -0600
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com;s=beta;h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references;bh=ceLDpy5o6QJHYy4Kl9qqie56r5tbKCJ3uZP7On3y+o0=;b=R55gmQWsnL+LZ9pm/FXRwRkxll5r2SyPeDQQmvqBK8aKpDJ0x2ioxuoCHTGWZqoi38avJb63U0G7HWp/B5VV21bklaremcLU0LYO3Wp/nMtfyBWVji4fZB8hNZtJGH6JBtMZQF8l7CQUC5BEoT4Nnqkl4/jT+N3P5r3ULfLfbpo=

As I was using 60" rolls of lith film I made some negatives at
60"x60", but I never got around to making a tray that big, so I
"developed" some pictures with a garden hose with mixed results.  My
tray size is 48x48", so printing on a 48" substrate, the biggest
actual image size was about 36" square.  They were actually pretty
easy to make.   The process I described works very well.  As the time
I was using a ratio of 1 part gum to 1 part saturates Pot Dich.  By
diluting it further and putting the water right onto the surface of
the print, the gum emulsion is very manageable.  In fact, I used to
dry it with a hair drier as I was smoothing it out with a brush.
Space was a problem.  I used to coat, dry and develop out of doors in
the morning.  The biggest issues I had were wind catching the prints
as they hung on a clothesline, debris flying into them, and cats
walking all over them as they lay in the grass.  At present I am very
content with printing at smaller sizes.