U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Storage of Glut. , was RE: glyoxal v. formaldehyde

Storage of Glut. , was RE: glyoxal v. formaldehyde

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Storage of Glut. , was RE: glyoxal v. formaldehyde
  • From: C.Breukel@lumc.nl
  • Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 13:59:27 +0200

Ryuji,

You wrote:

> Glut keeps for a long time as long as it is kept in an acidic solution
> (pH of about 4 is good), in a tightly closed container, in a cool,
> dark place. Not as air-sensitive as developers or formaldehyde or
> glyoxal, but I'd still avoid air.

..I obtained a small unopened bottle of glutataldehyde (25%) which was kept at room temperature for an unknown period (although the label read keep below zero deg Celsius).

I put it at -20degC (it freezes, a bit inconvienent), and tested it by putting 0.3 gr gelatine (bloom 300) in 10ml water, after soluting at 50degC I added 10µl 25%glut (obviously in a fume hood with proper protection). After 20 min at room temperature it became solid and I assume crosslinked.

The reason for this small experiment is that I came across this paper:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/l8k532p213708442/fulltext.pdf

were they state that storage temperature is the main factor on the stability of glut.

Do you think this suff is still good enough for sizing (guess I just have to try a small sample), or do I worry to much..;-)..

Best & thanks

Cor