U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Storage of Glut. , was RE: glyoxal v. formaldehyde

Re: Storage of Glut. , was RE: glyoxal v. formaldehyde

From: C.Breukel@lumc.nl
Subject: Storage of Glut. , was RE: glyoxal v. formaldehyde
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 13:59:27 +0200

> I put it at -20degC (it freezes, a bit inconvienent), and
> tested it by putting 0.3 gr gelatine (bloom 300) in 10ml
> water, after soluting at 50degC I added 10µl 25%glut
> (obviously in a fume hood with proper protection). After 20
> min at room temperature it became solid and I assume
> crosslinked.

That sounds good. Perhaps you should've kept it at 40C because
high MW gelatin would solidify at RT fairly quickly
anyway. (but I think you saw stiff jelly that wouldn't
dissolve in warm water... which means crosslinked.)

> The reason for this small experiment is that I came across this paper:
>
> http://www.springerlink.com/content/l8k532p213708442/fulltext.pdf
>
> were they state that storage temperature is the main factor
> on the stability of glut.
>
> Do you think this suff is still good enough for sizing
> (guess I just have to try a small sample), or do I worry to
> much..;-)..

I somehow can't download the full article via my library
account, but ask any EM anatomist and they'll tell you how
picky they used to be about the purity of fixatives they used
for perfusion. A small amount of polymerization product does
not concern us in using glutaraldehde as a gelatin hardener,
as long as your stock looks clear and free of
oxidation. Formaldehyde and glyoxal are more susceptible to
polymerization and oxidation than glut.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"The truth that I am seeking is in your missing file."