U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Attaching film in holders

Re: Attaching film in holders

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: Attaching film in holders
  • From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 14:09:08 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Healy" <emjayhealy@earthlink.net>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 9:05 AM
Subject: Attaching film in holders

I'm going to work with my hand-crafted 7x17 camera again after a hiatus of a couple of
years. My holders are not so good to begin with, but I've had a real problem in the past
with my film. I shoot with Kodak CGP film, which is exceedingly thin. In the AZ heat, and
especially if the camera is tilted forward in the least, the film kind of leans forward. Then
the holder snags on it and everything goes south from there.

It's occurred to me that I might tack it lightly to the back of the holder just to keep it in
place during the shoot. I'm thinking of using something like 3M Super 77 or some
equivalent. I currently use this in silksreen printing, applying a light spray to the table
before laying down a sheet of paper. It anchors the paper so it won't stick to the screen
after I pull it. Works well in that application, but paper is thick and tough. The lightest
possible application lasts long enough to hold several sheets of paper one after another,
and each one peels readily away from the table after printing.

Sooo, I'm thinking maybe I could do this when loading this film into the holder. Has
anyone done this, or have thoughts on this or other spray adhesives? I'll have to try it in
any case, with scrap film, just to see whether it does let go of a lighter, thinner material
than 250 wt Stonehenge on a table.

Thanks

Mike Helay

It seems to me that there was a similar problem with Technical Pan which was also on a thinner than usual base. The recommendation was to use a sheet of thin, black, "kraft" paper under the film. That serves to put the film in the exact focal plane and to hold it against the rails of the holder. Normal sheet film in on 0.007" base.
I also agree that a couple of dots of double-stick tape may help. About light from the adhesive: not all adhesives produce light when stressed. You can check this by simply peeling a little of whatever you intend to use in a dark room. Curiously, the tape used to stick roll film to its paper backing produces light when peeled. Triboelectricity I think.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com