Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 09:46:07 +1200
From: don@sweetlegal.co.nz
Subject: Re: STARTING POINT
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca

Hi Rob

I don't know why my response went to you off-list, and I got your name wrong (sorry about that),
Repeating the parts that may be interesting to others -

I said :
I was suggesting a possible connection between Ctein's reports on his
attempts to get sharp focus on vc paper under an enlarging lens and Bob's
plans to use enlarging paper as a negative in his view camera.  Ctein may be
out on his own, I don't know (interestingly his book describes and allows
for the "Gainer effect" noted by Don Bryant).
But surely the common
experience of pinhole camera users using paper negatives can give us no
guidance at all on this or any other question about focus.

You said:
The key is that when selecting pinhole size, people typically use Rayleigh's equation which is optimized for a single wavelength.   When using photo paper then l = 550nm is pretty common.  No serious problems with "focus shift" if you are designing for a single wavelength, especially if it is near the peak of the paper's spectral response.
I think the focus shift people are referring to is a function of the glass, coatings and mirrors used in the enlarging lens and focusing tools.  No mirror in the lens, just the tool, obviously.  The formation of the areal image seems to be at issue.
To a first approximation, the smallest detail you can resolve is something like 1/2 your pinhole diameter (working from memory so could be wrong), neglecting fringing effects.  In practice I've found it to be somewhat "worse" but a well made hole in the thinnest stuff you can find works VERY, VERY well.

To which I say:
Ctein reported  the peak spectral response of the Kodak vc paper he used was about 420nm. Would the difference between 420nm and 550nm make much difference to the conventional values derived from Rayleigh's equation?

On the original topic of effective speed, I stumbled upon this link suggesting pre-flashing (in the darkroom) to improve shadow detail

Regards

Don Sweet