U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: ironing gum prints and other musings

Re: ironing gum prints and other musings

I think this is true with a lot of alt-processes, but particularly true
for gum. A recent example of this was about a month ago. A friend was in
town for Fotofest, and wanted to learn a little about doing some gumovers.
For various reasons, the time we had allocated got jammed up, so it
amounted to about 4 hours of so-called 'instruction', from sizing to
coating to exposing and developing. We did 2 coats of gum on two of his
images. He's back home and sending me jpegs of what he has done since
then, and holy-moly, he's got it. Amazing. But I think the key is, he both
'got it' and liked it right away, and the rest just amounts to doing it
enough to learn a little more each day.