U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: ironing gum prints and other musings

Re: ironing gum prints and other musings

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: ironing gum prints and other musings
  • From: Jack Brubaker <jack@jackbrubaker.com>
  • Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 14:33:47 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com;s=gamma;h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth;bh=kLQkQuN37HMR3KmrEHcb2ENLV9eJhisIUUAS0gLuesA=;b=hPAm74de3srJklNvz7itHHFMz05WjlSyv9Jp/Va3xWKRi80bLacRMjUAFuVUzFYoGczXEMk710BJjDgB6bQXo2fO3Y+kHiIlQXjt7uk2Ny9piPAaE8xfGw4QVW0At3Ng3YYUQQpcygH42W9JuAiO7hAMYeZ/a+kZy/rnVingFzI=
  • Sender: jwbrubaker@gmail.com

As to the subject of why some students link up so tightly with a new
media such as gum, I have always thought that different individuals
find their niche (if they find it) based in part on the resistance of
the medium. When I teach blacksmithing I am working with students
trying to get a grasp of a very resistant material that is too hot to
touch. Glassblowing and blacksmithing are basically the same.. the
stuff must be hot to work it and as a result you are always separated
from the material by intervening tools. The difference is the
resistance of the material. You should see the frustration of a
"natural potter" working with either media, they can't stand not being
able to touch the stuff. Gum has way more resistance than most photo
processes. It takes a long time to make a finished multi layer print
and the steps are non-specific in their results (that is there are so
many variables involved that results must be felt by intuition).

Jack