U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Masa findings

Masa findings

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Masa findings
  • From: Keith Gerling <keith.gerling@gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 09:06:51 -0500
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com;s=gamma;h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition;bh=5zPd2Q4DPrs92u97ZtGRwFVRaG0SFpqqKTJotRSopoE=;b=fHikOLfH7dW0Ryuu1WefUc9bmfjnjhdR85jJhJPofK3/jnuRcgkPSIe75Ung5bFdD9cuFAVCB2l0TxX03/p7cq38KpGudtjb/beqtqS+W62iqsRsvRpCdA5HD7/bmiWjH9xLR2X9K8LrAYaDgIwQA1OSTNo73aV1gLGQjyOoEPw=

I love printing gum on Masa paper, but I have to admit that the final
result has something to be desired.  The paper lacks "character" and
is so thin that the dried print is very warped and crinkly.
Dry-mounting works well, but I would really like to find an
alternative that doesn't have such a permanent effect on the print.
Besides, Masa is so thin and light that a stack of 10 prints weighs
about as much as one mount board.

I've played with a couple of flattening ideas that, while ultimately
unsuccessful, still are kind of interesting.  One of them in
particular gives a finished print that is unlike any gum print I have
ever seen - sort of like a ferrotyped silver gelatin print.  I print
on the SMOOTH side,  wet the finished dry print, brush on a layer of
gelatin, and squeegee this to a shiny piece of aluminum face down.  As
the gelatin dries, the print shrinks and it pulls itself off of the
aluminum.  The result is a very shiny gum print.  Unfortunately, it
does very little for the dmax.  Still, it is a rather novel look that
I can see might have some use.

Keith