U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | another good yellow for gum

another good yellow for gum

  • To: Alt List <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
  • Subject: another good yellow for gum
  • From: "Christina Z. Anderson" <zphoto@montana.net>
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 08:31:56 -0600

So first it was the nacho cheese yellow--PY 110 or PY 139 that I reported back a week or so ago.

Now I want to talk about another yellow--when I first mixed it up in my standard stock mix of 1 tube pigment to 45ml gum arabic, I thought this yellow would never do. It is breastfed baby poop yellow--very browny greeny YUK. So I put it on the back shelf and did not use it. But I ran out of the yellow I normally use and decided to use it and when mixed in a gum layer it is a beautiful yellow, very transparent, leans towards a warm green if that is possible. It is Daniel Smith Nickel Azo Yellow PY150 or Winsor Newton Transparent Yellow or Schmincke Translucent Yellow. Another yellow for one's arsenal that at first glance goes way beyond what it looks like it might do.
Chris