U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Grainy Kallitype

Re: Grainy Kallitype

Judy,

The following quote from Dana Sullivan I think explains the importance of humidity to a paper's absorption better than I can. He is actually referring to pre-soaking paper in water, when high humidity is difficult to obtain. But the end result is basically the same:

 . . .  ( pre-soaking the papers works to) swell the surface fibers of the paper, helping them draw the VDB solution into them. You don't want the solution drying on the surface of the paper, or in between the fibers, rather you want each of the individual cotton fibers to act like a little capillary and hold the solution inside it.

david