U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: Carbon on glass with back exposure

RE: Carbon on glass with back exposure

Loris,
Carbon prints were made routinely at the turn of century with sun exposure. We are not inventing anything new here. To keep exposure variations to minimum try to make prints at the same time each day. Make sure there is no cloud in the sun's path during the exposure. That will ruin the print as the sharp shadows will disappear. Face the print to the sun and align it perpendicular to the sun's rays to keep shadows as short as possible. I guess it would be good to just record light intensity with a lightmeter. Integrator might be OK, I do not have and never used one.
Exposing film test strips (traditional silver film based) is a great way to learn carbon. It will also allow you to pick negative density that you like. You already know how to translate this to a digital negative.  Exposure is tied to dichromate concentration and negative density, but 10 or 20 % variation will have little effect.
Best of all read some good literature on carbon.

Marek

> Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 11:59:45 +0300
> From: mail@loris.medici.name
> Subject: Re: Carbon on glass with back exposure
> To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
>
> Thanks Marek!
>
> A question about exposure: how sensitive is the process to exposure
> variations? How did you calibrate your negatives for the process? How do
> you manage to decide the correct exposure time? What is your procedure? Do
> you use a light integrator?
>
> Regards,
> Loris.
>
> 28 Haziran 2008, Cumartesi, 11:31 pm tarihinde, Marek Matusz yazmış:
> >

> > Carbon on Glass (Back Exposure).

> > Walk outside, remove the top black cover and expose. 1-2 minute of direct
> > sun is a good start for testing.

Windows Live Hotmail is giving away Zunes. Enter for your chance to win. Enter Now!