U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | OT: digital proofing of negatives

OT: digital proofing of negatives

Now that I can finally make good scans of negatives, I need to wade through huge boxes of negatives of various sizes and density ranges to see which ones might be worth the time to scan. Has anyone rigged up something to do that?

I know some of the low end digital cameras include effects such as "negative". Putting such a camera on a copy stand over a light box seems to be the way to quickly go over a lot of images. Has anyone done that? Which cameras could do that well?

Or are there software to invert the image on the monitor if a camera is tethered to the computer?

By the way, batch scanning is out of the question because of the differences between the negatives: size, density, etc.

Thanks.
Sam