To: <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2008 3:53 PM
Subject: bichromate gum

Christopher James' new book mentions, as an untested idea, something that I
read recently in a Barnet text from about 1898, namely that you can put the
dichromate coat on after the size has hardened and leave the paper for some
time before putting the paint/gum coat. From memory the Barnet text (too
dear to buy) suggested the resulting image would be more contrasty with less
highlight details than a conventional gum print. Can anyone cast any
further light on this idea, or suggest any starting points for further
experimentation?
Thanks
Don Sweet