U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: bichromate gum

Re: bichromate gum

Thanks to Sam, Christina and Judy for the helpful replies.

Speaking of chemical purity, my dichromate isn't exactly reagent grade - it
is sold  as "sodium potassium dichromate" by the kilogram for use as a
pottery glaze.  That seems to be the only way to buy it in New Zealand now.
I recently acquired some photo chemicals from an old hoarder which included
a 1oz bottle of pot dichromate with a pharmacist's logo on the label and a
price dating back to before we converted to decimal currency (1967) - the
contents had formed a single crystal  Obviously in those days you could buy
stuff like that over the counter, but now we have an international
bureaucratic network dedicated to eliminating such hazards now (also
removing Portriga Rapid paper and mercury lightmeter batteries, and
replacing inert aerosol propellants with explosive ones).

One of the advantages that I thought the "bichromate first" technique might
offer is the opportunity to take a more painterly approach to the colouring
step - e.g. use more colours, follow the image a bit, and leave some blanks.
Does that make sense?

Don Sweet