U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: glass slides

Re: glass slides

----- Original Message ----- From: "Clarence Rhymer" <crhymer@northwestel.net>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Sunday, July 20, 2008 9:55 AM
Subject: Re: glass slides

Hello Christina,

This is overkill, but a Spencer (later American Optical) Delineascope GK is great. They usually come in a large metal box, and can project anything up to American or British lantern slide formats.

A few things:

They come with two sets of condensers in separate baskets, one for smaller and one for larger formats.
There are a range of slide carriers in either wood or aluminum for different formats.
There are a range of lenses of varying focal length - screen distance.
They are completely manual - one slide in - one slide out.
They are often for sale on Ebay.
They are heavy, so shipping can be an issue.
Many universities used them and some may still have one in their A/V dept. for displaying old glass slides.
You should be able to get one complete in good condition for $40.00 to $80.00.
If you go this route, make sure all the parts/accessories are present.
Bulbs are still available, although a bit pricey.
You may find that many vintage projectors take rare and expensive bulbs. Sometimes it is cheaper to buy a replacement projector than a new bulb.
There are other Delineascope models, but the GK is best by far.
I have a manual, a copy of which I could send you, should you go this route.

Should you ever decide to do collodion lantern slides, this would be a good unit for projection.

Cheers,
Clarence Rhymer
The other popular lantern slide projector was made by Bausch & Lomb. These were made to project up to 3-1/4 x 4-1/4 lantern slides. The military used them and occasionally they turn up on the surplus market. The last time I saw one in use was a very long time ago when I took a class in forensic photography and one was used to illustrate evidence photos. The detail from these large slides is astonishing.
I don't think this is as good a solution for Christina as one of the older manual 35mm slide projectors. IMO the higher priced Kodaks were the best but there were a bunch of brands including B&L, AO, Airquipt, GoldE, SVE, Leitz, Zeiss, etc, etc. Some of these folks also made 2-1/4 x 2-1/4 and 2-1/4 x 3-1/4 projectors. All of these would take thick glass sandwich mounted slides.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com