U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: dreamy Nikon lenses

Re: dreamy Nikon lenses

To the lens experts out there...

I have a question about using an old lens as soft focus. Someone
mentioned that an old triplet could be made to give that soft halo
effect by moving the front element out a bit to introduce spherical
aberration. Do I remember that right? If so can this be done with some
of those old lenses I have laying around that have what I take to be a
front pair and a rear pair each mounted in a brass ring and threaded
into a brass tube. Can the space between the front and rear elements
be varied by screwing them out a bit and get any of these effects, or
by seperating the front pair and placing a shim between them in the
brass mounting ring?

Hopeful and expectant,

Jack