U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: JMC lens was/Re: dreamy Nikon lenses

Re: JMC lens was/Re: dreamy Nikon lenses

Hi Judy,

My house can match most for disorder, particularly around my desk and computers, so yes, I do sympathise.

One reason I asked rather than looking it up is that I can't find the copy I have (or had) of a book about her, in fact the only stuff I can find easily are things I've already put on the web, where I didn't say much about lenses... I picked 9lbs of redcurrants in our garden yesterday but they are jelly now (jelly as in English English) though I can't claim responsibility for that part of the process. Lots more still on the bushes too.

I also have a vague recollection about JMC, which is that she used a lens with a longer focal length than was then normal for her portraits, and I think it had a relatively small maximum aperture thus she needed longer exposure times ( I think she always worked at full aperture.) So she got more subject movement, as well as limited depth of field because of the longer focal length thus greater magnification.
But I imagine someone here will know more about it. Or I may even find that book myself.

Peter Marshall - Photographer, Writer: NUJ
petermarshall@cix.co.uk _________________________________________________________________
Re:PHOTO                     http://re-photo.co.uk
My London Diary http://mylondondiary.co.uk/
London's Industrial Heritage: http://petermarshallphotos.co.uk/
The Buildings of London etc: http://londonphotographs.co.uk/
and elsewhere......

Judy Seigel wrote:

Oh, lordy Peter,

I can't remember where I put an extremely important letter from a lawyer last week, or the recipe for the cranberry relish I have cranberries rotting on the stove to make, and I should remember where I read a few lines on Julia maybe 20 years ago?

When you're as old as I am and have a house crammed with important evidence from all your goose chases, you may sympathize. For the moment, I can say only that it was in something biographical about her, that it may not have been built specifically for being "bad," but had a different purpose, that the distortion or softness came along for no extra effort, and she then clung to it.

I'll check one or two sources aroound here I think of (and can probably find), but... don't count on getting that particular item... (I do however count on being sucked in near terminally--- thanks a lot !)

Meanwhile, who wrote the book about her and/or the Isle of Wight...I think the local historical society. There may have been a clue there. I have the P-F story by Cynthia Larson of her visit there... I'll check for a clue,

cheers,

J.