U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: glass slides

Re: glass slides

Hi Christina
For many years I used A Bowens Illumitran slide duplicator with a nikon F 3 as the camera. These units are basically useless now but I have considered the possibility of putting a digital camera on one of these units and making digital copies of slides. Once you get into a rhythm you should be able to copy the slides quite quickly, a lot quicker than a scanner. As you work for a university I would not be surprised if your AV department or Library does not have one of these units stuck away in the basement. The Bowens has a built in flash or tungsten light source in the base and once you have the correct exposure you don't have to make any changes. The lens that came with the Bowens are some times not that great so we adapted a enlarger lens that made great duplicates. Similarly I have converted a Leica macro camera set up to nikon digital by having a camera repair shop adapt an extension ring to the Leica macro bellows. I have not had to do 3000 slides at one go yet, therefore this is just a theory but it should work. I am sure that it will be much better quality than using a flatbed scanner and it will be quicker.

Here is a link to Bowens on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ILLUMITRAN-Slide-Copier-Duplicator- Bowens-3S_W0QQitemZ200239935235QQihZ010QQcategoryZ629QQssPageNameZWDVWQQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Cheers
Bruce