U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | glass slides

glass slides

Can anyone give me advice on digitizing glass slides that are in thick metal mounts? They do not fit in a slide projector. Is there any service that will batch scan large amounts of slides at good resolution that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Anyone scan glass slides themselves and can give me pointers? I have....probably about 3000 of them so it is hard for me to imagine scanning that many myself and I don't think they'll fit into my CanonScan.
Chris