U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Register punch

Re: Register punch

I've used a three hole punch.  My punch makes holes just a little larger than
1/4 inch - it makes 9/32 inch holes.  I started using wooden dowels sanded
down, but found that hobby shops carry small diameter metal tubing in a
variety of sizes.

See http://www.hobbyplace.com/materials/metal.php

I had a friend with a metal lathe cut these into short lengths and used them
for pins.

Without a metal lathe, it may be possible to cut these with a fine toothed
hack saw.  Its likely necessary to put a piece of wooden doweling inside the
tubing to prevent it from collapsing while its being cut.

Its also possible to get bar stock (round metal rod) in unusual diameters from
specialty suppliers.

--
Gordon J. Holtslander				Dept. of Biology
gordon.holtslander@usask.ca		University of Saskatchewan