U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: P. Maroon

Re: P. Maroon

Rajul, If you were asking about perylene maroon as a substitute for alizarin crimson, as per a recent thread, then I'd urge even more strongly to consider PR 175.

I just remembered I have a page on my site from several years ago that has rough paint swatches of some different "magentas" that I found recommended for tricolor in a number of different gum texts , along with my comments about them. If you'll look at the other swatches in comparison to the alizarin crimson, it shouldn't be too hard to see that the PR 175 is the closest match to alizarin crimson. I wasn't trying to match the swatches in value, so the deep scarlet swatch is deeper and richer than the alizarin crimson, but a drop of water would probably make them a perfect match, as the hue is relatively close.

http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/html/Magentas.html

Perylene maroon wasn't included in that sample of swatches, since it wasn't recommended by any of the texts I looked at, but take a look at handprint's swatches of PR 179 for a rough comparison.

I've been remodeling my website off and on for the last couple of years, and the galleries are still offline, or I'd show you a bunch of tricolors that were made using PR 175 over a number of years, but for the moment, just look at the apricots on the main page; that's a typical example of my tricolor work using PR 175 as the "magenta." It is a lovely deep rich scarlet that combines beautifully with other color layers to make rich jewel-like colors.

http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/

Hope any of that is useful,
Katharine