U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re:Gallic acid; Was:

Re:Gallic acid; Was:

Speaking of toning cyanotypes, I recently gave a cyanotype workshop for my book arts group, and we did some toning with tannic acid, using tea. I mentioned that gallic acid was also sometimes used but I'd never tried it. Well, someone from the group just gave me two bags (!) of oak galls. Does anyone know how to extract gallic acid from oak galls-- or even if it's possible?

TIA,
Linda