U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: RES: Scanning

Re: RES: Scanning

I use V700 and V750, with VueScan and Epson Scan
softwares. V700 is sufficient for continuous tone pictorial
images, but V750 may be better for more high contrast
materials.  Epson Scan is easier to use for mass scanning of
color materials, and VueScan is better for fine control over
many things, but it only has simple facilities for batch
scanning and color correction to make it less perfect choice
for mass scanning projects. Also, when you use Epson Scan, it
makes you feel that, besides a few check boxes and stuff you
see on the small panel, almost everything is taken care of by
the software itself, but you will need to adjust the exposure
level, etc., for each batch of negatives (or you may get
clipped highlights, etc.) and so you will need to be familiar
with options/controls that are available on the deeper
panels. I do not know why Epson made the interface that way;
it would be much easier if the expert mode laid all options
out in a more accessible way.

I usually work on scanned images in Lightroom. Operations that
are essential for scanned images are a lot easier to do on
Lightroom: color correction, straightening and cropping.

Some talk about the option to scan images on VueScan and save
it in DNG to work in Lightroom. This may work well for
transparencies but I am not sure if it is better for
negatives, since the image in DNG is negative and the rest of
editing will be awkward.

Another issue with scanning softwares is that, when you apply
the processing to the image and save it, none of the softwares
I use take advantage of multiple cores. In my experience of
using MacPro 8 core, only Lightroom and Photoshop take
advantage of the extra cores so far.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"People seldom do what they believe in.  They do what is convenient,