U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: concentration of 14 baume gum arabic

Re: concentration of 14 baume gum arabic

Hi Dirk-Jan,

I have been mixing my own gum from lumps in a 35+100 (gum+water) ratio for years. When using lumps you can filter the solution by binding the lumps is a piece of cheesecloth and hang this in a jar with water. I am using a cheap winemakers hydrometer to measure specific gravity. A sg to baume conversion tool can be found here: http://www.ilpi.com/msds/ref/baumescale.html . This gum mix is at or around 14 beamé when measured! I tend to use a more concentrated (1+2) solution now.

I buy my gum in the netherlans at peter van ginkel artsupplies: http://www.petervanginkel.nl/index.php?id=1645

kees