Sent: Saturday, September 06, 2008 7:05 PM
Subject: RE: gum preservatves

Chris,
Very informative experiment. I do not think that effect is due to acidity. I would rather put out a hypothesis that the effect is due to the vitamin C (ascorbic acid) present in lemon juice. Vitamin C is a strong reducing agent that would react quickly with dichromate reducing it to Cr (III) and making gum insoluble. Kind of like a dark reaction in gum, no light needed. It appears as a stain, but it really is not. It is really a chemical fog.
ANyways to test acidity one would use solutions of pure acids.
Marek