U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: lithium bromide solubility ?

Re: lithium bromide solubility ?

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: lithium bromide solubility ?
  • From: Dirk-Jan Treffers <dirkjan.treffers@gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2008 18:20:54 +0200
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com;s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references;bh=V+DxrAb2ZDUkcEotZ3vbGUQ/4PfIceMyPxdjD5xiVVU=;b=PkRjgN/ZjPn2/JaVhquRMCv2v1j9szJjWCPBNmmlFiNleH/8aYNFETIExw51Ty+NocHqMfYSCPlGxNDuPST+SZkf4RTtjHSxCB9kFy/lvYLWuXtVKQwbBBU31ImGCrXg+bC0aLZbZYMDnOwaDqiZRIZ0oD1wIN0aqaNJHfAUtek=

Hi Joe!

I have a Handbook of Physics and Chemistry that most chemistry students will learn to love and hate at the same time, but that's at work unfortunately, so I'll have to check tomorrow if the specific solubility of lithium bromide in ethanol is mentioned.
If you're not REALLY looking for the exact number of solubility in terms of saturated solutions (and thus the maximum amount of grams per liter of ethanol you can dissolve), I would say at first hand:
The solubility of LiBr will not be very different than the solubility of LiI. The argument is that they are both part of the LiX group (so, salts made of Lithium as the positive metal ion and a halide as chloor, bromium, iodine or fluoride (Cl, Br, I or F) as the negative part of the salt).
Usually, there is perhaps some difference between the chloro or fluoro-salts and the others, but between Br and I (bromium and iodine), I don't expect that many different physiscal or chemical properties!

kind regards,

DJ