U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Ruined 3rd tricolor gum print! Grrrr...

Re: Ruined 3rd tricolor gum print! Grrrr...

Loris, I concur that you might do well to cut the pigment back a bit
more (going by the whites of the eyes and by the coarseness of the
texture in the midtones). Reducing the pigment in the same amount of
gum, or using the same amount of pigment and adding more gum, are
essentially the same solution.

Whether it's too dark is hard for me to say without the other colors
(I can't judge the cyan by itself without seeing how it interacts
with the other colors.) Like Henk, my tendency when printing the
cyan first is to print it too dark, so I prefer to print it last
where I can see it as part of the whole rather than as an isolated
standalone print. But as I said before, we all have different ways
of thinking about these things, and if printing the cyan first works
well for you, as it does for Keith, that's what you should do. I'll
be interested to see how the finished print turns out.

Katharine