U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Art Boards Gesso???

Re: Art Boards Gesso???

There are also commercial offset inks which are now often soy based.
It is true that European inks have for centuries been linseed based.
Old prints will sometimes show a browning on the back behind the
image, stronger where the ink is darkest - as in the blacks of an
intaglio. This would correspond to where the oil was most plentiful.
The papers of those eras have remained strong in spite of that
discoloration. It is curious that it seems to be more on the back than
front on old prints I have. I wonder if it is more of an indication of
interaction between the inked paper and the paper or board that was
behind it.

Jack