U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Gum on masa, again

Re: Gum on masa, again

Katharine, what is the product number in the barcode?
Mine says AWAGAMI MASA BRIGHT WHITE 86gsm 4530190907590... You're
describing it as if it's different paper than what I got!? Never got any
cracking myself...

Another good example for "different people - different experience" is the
Fabriano Artistico pattern: I remember reading your comments about this
paper somewhere (could be either in apug.org or hybridphoto.com - don't
remember exactly); you were complaining about the ugly pattern you get
when printing on that paper. I've printed on Artistico, always on the
front side (watermark reads correctly) and never encountered any pattern.

See a 400dpi (makes something like 4.1x magnification when viewed at 100%
zoom on screen) detail scan of my last print here:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/4qxf5j
(a crop that can represent all the tones - not colors - in the image)

No pattern?

Sometimes, there are just too many variables which makes specific products
and procedures work for some, but not for others. On the other hand, this
cracking case is pretty basic and is causing quite a confusion on my part.

Anyway, being a little more experienced now, I will start to size some
Masa sheets, to try it again (my very first tries were on Masa). Fabriano
is indeed a nice paper for gum (also, I can buy it locally -> a big plus
to me) but the price is pretty high. So, I'm still interested in Masa for
gums -> will see it (and try it to make work) for myself and report back.

10 Ekim 2008, Cuma, 7:52 pm tarihinde, Katharine Thayer yazmış: