U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: 1st tricolor on Masa. Impressions...

Re: 1st tricolor on Masa. Impressions...

Loris, thanks for the speculation about the cracking, but it doesn't work, because I always keep the back of the paper wet while developing, and that was also the case here. The problem is not dry paper; the wetter the paper gets the worse the problem gets, for me. But thanks for thinking about it, anyway.

The thought about my paper being lighter/thinner is an interesting one, if Keith hadn't piped up and said that he also finds the paper extremely difficult to handle when wet, I would think that explains the difference between my experience and others, but as it is I'm inclined to think it's a function of the size of the paper, since Keith and I are printing at similar paper sizes.

I did find that I needed to add water to the coating mix, not because the coating needs to be thinner, but because the sized paper (smooth side) didn't coat as easily -- brush would drag and grab on the sized paper and make it difficult to smooth the coating out. Which is interesting because unsized, the paper coats very smoothly and nicely. So I followed Keith's suggestion and added water. I did find that the more liquid coating would go all wavy as I was coating, but because the paper is so thin, you can coat across the waves without causing any unevenness in the coating.
katharine