U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: 1st tricolor on Masa. Impressions...

Re: 1st tricolor on Masa. Impressions...

13 Ekim 2008, Pazartesi, 2:33 am tarihinde, Katharine Thayer yazmış:

> The thought about my paper being lighter/thinner is an interesting
> one, if Keith hadn't piped up and said that he also finds the paper
> extremely difficult to handle when wet, I would think that explains
> the difference between my experience and others, but as it is I'm
> inclined to think it's a function of the size of the paper, since
> Keith and I are printing at similar paper sizes.

Could be, I'll see it for myself (in gum printing context) as soon as I
purchase: two large sheets of heavy glass (to sandwich the paper and
negative in between), a high density thin polystyrene foam sheet (for
cushioning / even pressure distribution), matte black spray paint (for
painting the light colored foam sheet so that it doesn't reflect UV), and
small C-clamps (to fasten & apply pressure to the assembly) in order to
home-build a large contact printing frame and test the paper in large
sizes. (I already need that for large prints on Fabriano.)

BTW, you may have missed that I mentioned before that I soaked that paper
for long times, at full and half sheet sizes (but not for gum printing),
not caring much about delicacy in handling (albeit I wasn't particularly
heavy handed too) w/o any cracking. On the other hand, I remember Keith
mentioning that the paper won't do well after 2 gum layers (if I'm not
mistaking) being as inexperienced as I am, I easily did three coats
without any problems (apart uneven coating). Those facts still makes me
think that the difference may be caused by the relatively weaker weight of
your stock. (Your 70gsm versus my 86 gsm.)

> I did find that I needed to add water to the coating mix, not because
> the coating needs to be thinner, but because the sized paper (smooth
> side) didn't coat as easily -- brush would drag and grab on the sized
> paper and make it difficult to smooth the coating out.  Which is
> interesting because unsized, the paper coats very smoothly and
> nicely.  So I followed Keith's suggestion and added water.  I did
> find that the more liquid coating would go all wavy as I was coating,
> but because the paper is so thin, you can coat across the waves
> without causing any unevenness in the coating.

Thanks for the insight. I haven't experienced any dragging myself but felt
the coating wasn't even enough with thick emulsion. Did you also realized
that the paper needs much less emulsion (about 1/2) than Fabriano (or
similar sturdy / heavy papers)? I'm sure thinner emulsion will do the
trick in the future, combined with getting more and more used to the
paper...