U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Paper negatives- Ink Selection

Re: Paper negatives- Ink Selection

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: Paper negatives- Ink Selection
  • From: Keith Gerling <keith.gerling@gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 10:43:24 -0500
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com;s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references;bh=1QrseGwK8ggupdintBOkpByZkPVu07gm/ADnJVt0360=;b=VecrPYNuz70IYo5q8fGuW1/FLO8oghRBuEHyJmqF2bMvtcqAyeIG6wS/l3y7r2QILMr/CNRQ4YHKZiZVwy6dairgOqw2JTt+QnufwyIRWFRibZzbKXN3L8DhB168EXtf/1lBD8CelmLwAJxxTsauTask3qxGjQ4yMqvwIpM6wLQ=

Hi Loris,

My gums require 15 minutes with oiled negatives.  I would really like
to reduce this.  Also, cyanotypes made with the same oiled negatives
require exposure times of 30-45 minutes.  How does this compare with
others?  It seems pretty long.

Keith

2008/10/15 Loris Medici <mail@loris.medici.name>:
> [...]
> That's my second point. (To remind again, first point is: HP9180 all-inks
> grayscale negatives are perfect for tricolor gum...)
>

> 15 Ekim 2008, Çarşamba, 12:05 am tarihinde, Katharine Thayer yazmış:
>> Loris, my question was a simple question:   on what are you basing the
> statement that your exposure times are shorter than others'? because I'm
> not seeing other gum exposure times in the thread, never mind that even
> if there were, no valid conclusions could be drawn from the comparison.
>    Instead of answering the question by
>> pointing to posts I missed, or describing the data on which you base the
> assertion, you simply repeated it.   It's not a helpful answer to the
> question, but I won't pursue it further; I'll take your word that there
> are these people you know about, somewhere,  who print exactly as you
> print, with exactly the same emulsion, same paper, same light source,
> same negative media  and exact same working procedures (same
> environmental conditions, we would also have to assume) who have to use
> longer exposure times because they're using negatives with more DR, or
> they're not calibrating, or their calibrations are flawed somehow.  This
> is quite a remarkable finding, as I've never met two gum printers who
> use the same everything,  unless they happen to be taking a workshop
> together  and are using premixed emulsions and all other materials and
> equipment supplied by the teacher.   Oh well, I don't really care, I was
> just curious.  Back to check on my print, kt
>>

>> On Oct 14, 2008, at 11:08 AM, Loris Medici wrote:
>>

>>> Katharine, don't worry I'm pretty careful about this subject -
>>> knowing (by
>>> experience) you'll chime in every time it's brought up, to
>>> clarify ;) I'm
>>> getting older I guess; less and less surprises... ;)
>>> I wasn't attributing the short exposure I'm using to curves at all, that
>>> was a side note (which should have been enclosed between parenthesis,
> sorry). I was trying to say (indirectly) that since the DR (=density
> range) and tonal progression of my paper negatives (made with the HP
> 9180
>>> all-inks grayscale setting, using the printer's plain paper
>>> profile) are
>>> close to ideal (in tricolor gum printing context - which is
>>> supported by
>>> the fact that the curve I devised for this particular combination is the
>>> smoothest and least dramatic one among all curves I did until now),
> therefore, other people's longer exposure times could be caused by the
> fact that they're using negatives with more DR, which naturally will
> require more exposure and a stronger / more dramatic curve to
>>> counterbalance. Or they're not calibrating, or their calibrations are
> flawed...
>>> Hope it's clear, and makes more sense to you now. I perfectly
>>> understand
>>> the confusion I may have caused on your part.
>>> Loris.