U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Gum calibration (was: Paper negatives- Ink Selection)

Re: Gum calibration (was: Paper negatives- Ink Selection)

Hi Keith,
I picked several gumcurves from the net to start with.
Made a gumprint and 'corrected' with Photoshop the negative according to the results of the gumprint until i was happy with the result.
This i did with the tools Photoshop offers (brightness/contrast, curves, shadow/highlight etc.)
So in the end -after producing several paperbasket gumprints- the result was a negative delivering MY perfect gumprint, with MY specific monitor, Epson printers, paper, paint etc.
This negative i inverted into a positive.
Now i had an 'original-positive' and a 'gum-positive'.
I downloaded a stepwedge , attached this to the 'original-positive' and started messing around with the tools of Photoshop to produce the above mentioned 'gum-positive'; as a side-effect i had an adjusted stepwedge.
Next i opened a new stepwedge next to the 'gum-manipulated-one', opened in PHOtOSHOP ADJUSTMENT/CURVES and transported step by step the manipulated one to the fresh one; the result was my gumcurve. This the one i use every time for gum and oilprinting.
It looks a bit confusing, but it is really an easy thing to do if you have once  'your perfect gumnegative'.
For the ink-and-printer settings: Dan Burkholder has really very easy  tutorials 'how-to', and they are really easy , cheap and no need to invent the wheel again. Check his website.
Succes, and if my explanation is not as easy as i think it is, please do not hesitate .... :-)
Henk

ps by the way: for my tricolors negs:
invert the positive, split-channel, invert all three to a positive and now i use MY gumcurve to produce the final negs.