U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Tricolor nr 3

Re: Tricolor nr 3

That makes me want to get back to a project I started and set aside a couple of years ago. I don't remember now what the images were that I wanted to use this effect for, but I was experimenting with different combinations of complementary colors to create different kinds of greys. Depending on the colors chosen and the concentrations, you can get everything from silvery to pearly to pewtery greys, warm to cool, light to dark. If anyone is interested in pursuing such an exploration, I recommend the solution I finally hit on, to print the complementary colors on mylar and then just overlay them on each other to pick the combinations you like. Saved a whole lot of work printing all the different combinations of pairs one at a time.

Mixing paint can give you an idea of how colors mix, but I wouldn't recommend it for trying to determine how colors will print overlaid in the gum process; for that, you really have to print the gum layers. This really belongs in another thread, but I'll just throw it in here, though I think I've said it before: the only reliable way to understand gum printing is to print gum.
Katharine