Re: Art Boards Gesso + pumice
- To: email@example.com
- Subject: Re: Art Boards Gesso + pumice
- From: Keith Gerling <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 17:48:53 -0600
- Comments: "alt-photo-process mailing list"
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com;s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition; bh=aDHpUwl0SlC8xbC/ZDlg5y2690tOb4aVdLyJncdu6rA=;b=GGhW0E+khajLf5RXqtV6W9wpkHK7ZcIW7Q4SyABruGpgZuBZ6fSjIDTSsvXkRJmnezBugEr6foePiiFY94Bwg5cibOSFUDDYphqW9wBFZY7CJYzfSnfaQFIqk7zYJkGf8MP+OlPc5Gc9XHm6gxJDf3C40egosv62s3tMsZmvEYA=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma;h=message-id:date:from:to:subject:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition;b=k/je9YoQn4/Hx6a47vafIiLGocX6RZlhfF0Qv0v16cUsK3c1Ut97L/tk5PtkUO2g5KyGxC7xTzpvQEfp3IQy6kSViLjlGAEHjXS+3xWMBacBFjih0he4LJx0GGMbPBYRyjZ+mEUx5fshbHYzLG1B0nzU4LqNct7OQUV/4WCmLxI=
- List-id: alt-photo-process mailing list <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: email@example.com
I started adding things to this gesso today in an effort to give it
some tooth. Equal parts gesso and ground pumice, thinned with water,
gave me a plaster-like surface that was very absorbent. This is a
tri-color gum on an aluminum panel:
http://www.gumphoto.com/gessotest3.jpg Pretty bad. Murky and lacking
in contrast. (The surface isn't quite as grainy as it appears here)
The pigments did not stain, which kind of surprised me after watching
how the surface absorbed the emulsion. I'm going to try it again
tomorrow on a similar surface sized with hardened gelatin.
Loris, you are off the hook with regards to sticking me with this
gesso. The results aren't great, but I think I might be able to
salvage something out of it.
2008/10/29 Keith Gerling <firstname.lastname@example.org>:
> The gesso was very thick, so I kept dipping the brush in water, but I
> didn't really dilute it.
> of course I bought the quart...
> 2008/10/24 Loris Medici <email@example.com>:
>> Yikes! Sorry for the USD 27 I have made you spend... (If you brought the
>> quart size.)
>> Have you diluted the gesso? I've read somewhere that diluting gesso more
>> than 2:1 (gesso:water) is not a good idea...
>> I guess I will have to find rabbit skin glue (never saw in my suppliers)
>> in order to make my own gesso (I mean the good old formula, not modern
>> acrylic based ones...)
>> Thanks for trying...
>> 25 Ekim 2008, Cumartesi, 3:03 am tarihinde, Keith Gerling yazmış:
>>> Hi Loris,
>>> Art Boards is the worst gesso I've ever used. Emulsion beads up, so
>>> difficult to coat. I tried it on aluminum and this was the result
>>> That was just putting in the water. No agitation.