U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Art Boards Gesso + pumice

Re: Art Boards Gesso + pumice

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: Art Boards Gesso + pumice
  • From: Keith Gerling <keith.gerling@gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 17:48:53 -0600
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com;s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition; bh=aDHpUwl0SlC8xbC/ZDlg5y2690tOb4aVdLyJncdu6rA=;b=GGhW0E+khajLf5RXqtV6W9wpkHK7ZcIW7Q4SyABruGpgZuBZ6fSjIDTSsvXkRJmnezBugEr6foePiiFY94Bwg5cibOSFUDDYphqW9wBFZY7CJYzfSnfaQFIqk7zYJkGf8MP+OlPc5Gc9XHm6gxJDf3C40egosv62s3tMsZmvEYA=

I started adding things to this gesso today in an effort to give it
some tooth.  Equal parts gesso and ground pumice, thinned with water,
gave me a plaster-like surface that was very absorbent.  This is a
tri-color gum on an aluminum panel:
http://www.gumphoto.com/gessotest3.jpg  Pretty bad.  Murky and lacking
in contrast.  (The surface isn't quite as grainy as it appears here)
The pigments did not stain, which kind of surprised me after watching
how the surface absorbed the emulsion.  I'm going to try it again
tomorrow on a similar surface sized with hardened gelatin.

Loris, you are off the hook with regards to sticking me with this
gesso.  The results aren't great, but I think I might be able to
salvage something out of it.

Keith