Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2008 8:28 AM
Subject: RE: Off topic, photo history text question

I second Mr. Newhall's book.  It is pretty good if a little dated (for 20th century stuff).  I have a feeling that what you will find is that there is no single book that is best for the last 60 years worth because there have been SOOOOOO many things happening.  It might come down to maybe one book plus hand-out (check that fair-use copyright applies here) exceprts from other books or sources.  Heck, digital negatives and their use in alt processes as has been discussed here has enough history (at least 10 years now) that it could be a class all by itself! :)

Another thought, you might get in contact with this fellow :  http://photohistory.jeffcurto.com/

Mr. Curto teaches a photo history course and his podcasts are great fun to listen to.

Rob Young