U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: gum prints on Yupo

RE: gum prints on Yupo

I had encouraging results printing on yupo coated with acrylic gesso +
calcium carbonate mixture. I just did two tests, one 8 minutes, the other
4 minutes exposure. Both were highly overexposed (even a foam brush wont
clear darkest part of the image). Will try 02:00, 01:00 and 0:30 exposures
and then share the results... Coating is easy as long as you brush
presistently for a long time (emulsion doesn't bead much) and you keep the
emulsion very thin (if not, flaking occurs).

One important problem is: the base gets stained (not pigment, some kind of
chemical stain), and doesn't seem to clear with sodium metabisulfite. Will
see how it goes with shorter exposures. If it continues to stay so then I
won't be able to get pure white -> only ecru / warm background. Not a
problem for some images, big one for others...

The base coating consists of:
1 part acrylic gesso
1 part calcium carbonate powder
1/2 part water (all by weight)
mixed homogenously giving a creamy consistency. Applied with a foam brush,
smoothed gently with a watercolor wash brush.

I must admit it's not much interesting for Yupo. But if I manage to make
it work, it can be used as a nice way to print on rigid / impermeable and
smooth substrates such as aluminum sheets or MDF, HDF or plywood...

More later,
Loris.

2 Kasım 2008, Pazar, 5:43 pm tarihinde, Marek Matusz yazmış: