To: <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Sunday, November 09, 2008 10:23 AM
Subject: Re: cheap bromoil brushes

Beth Moon and I just studied with Larry Shapiro - oil printing (related
process).

He argued that you don't need the $100 class brush (though he did
comment that the Lewis brush that Beth had was fine).

So - do summarize! the feedback and recommendations as I would like
to prusue this - and what I saw was the need for a set of brushes of
different sizes - so, if you come up with a recommended student set -
I would be "hopping" up and down...

Simple Green -

  http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Green-13022-Purpose-Cleaner/dp/B0000CFLYJ

Larry said he walked away from all the toxic cleaners (bad for you) and
uses this stuff to clean up surfaces, brushes, the cat (MEOW! - joking).

It really worked well - cleaned up all the ink!  I am going to order
some now!

Dear all,
I am in the bromoil "unit" of study in my Experimental class this semester,
and I need some advice from the many more experienced bromoilists on the
list.

I am blessed with two things--wonderful David Lewis brushes that Mark
Andrews sent my way out of the goodness of his heart, and assisting David at
Penland and learning bromoil from him. But my problem is this: how to find
cheap enough bromoil brushes that also do really well for the students to
buy? They don't have $80 readily available when the assignment is only one
assignment of many.

Can anyone lead me to a cheap, GOOD bromoil brush they have used? I see
Bostick and Sullivan have ones for $20 and I ordered a couple for our
checkout at school and they are on their way. Has anyone used them?

Any and all brush help you can provide would be welcome.

BTW a great cleaner for brushes that he uses, which is cancer causing so use
outside of course, is trichlorethylene, available at hardware stores by the
gallon. It leaves no residue on the brushes.
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
http://christinaZanderson.com/