U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Mortensen

Re: Mortensen

It is absolutely impossible to judge Mortensen, his admirers, followers and critics, from today's vantage point. I wrote a longish (but brilliant, of course !) article about that in P-F #3. When I have a moment, I'll re-read it & perhaps post some relevant info. But a quick scan picks up this=====================:

Almost daily the bodies of artists more brilliant than M. fall by the wayside. "Died in poverty" could be cast as a slug for art-and-
photo-history books. In America's own art form, the comics, more pioneers vanished than were saved. The creator of Superman was old and "living in poverty" until public pressure forced Superman Corp. to grant him a stipend. Daumier lived out his life on Corot's charity... Jack Levine has described his pain when Abstract Expressionism made him a non-person.....[tho now in his 90s, he's reclaimed some position]... etc. etc., BUT