U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: giclee, silver gelatin/gelatin silver was 3 questions

Re: giclee, silver gelatin/gelatin silver was 3 questions

An iris printer is originally a printer for prepress proofing. They can print up to A0 sizes. It is a special kind of inkjet printer where the paper goes on a drum inside the printer. Graham Nash was the first to use it for fine art photo printing and reproductions. These prints are somtimes referred to as 'iris prints' and indeed sometimes also called 'giclee'.

Here's some information and a picture of an iris printer: http://www.answers.com/topic/iris-printer

kees