U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Taming Fabriano Artistico (Trad. White) for Cyanotype

Re: Taming Fabriano Artistico (Trad. White) for Cyanotype

First of all, thank you all for helpful replies!

Yesterday evening, I tried to acidify Fabriano Artistico TW (as described
in my first message below) and then print a Cyanotype step tablet (w/o
sizing the paper). The reaction was pretty quick -> there was no bubbles
coming out after about 1 - 2 minutes, but I kept it in acid solution for 5
minutes anyway. See the result below:

http://www.loris.medici.name/fabriano_trad_cyanotype_2A1B.jpg

This is 2A+1B trad. Cyanotype, exposed for 16 minutes under 8x40W Philips
UVBL bulbs (I deliberately overexposed to be sure of speed). According to
the desaturated scan, highest step with dmax is step 8 (8, 7 and 6 all
becoming black at the same time, playing with levels in PS. Steps below 6
are lighter due to solarization by overexposure.), lowest step with dmin
(paper white) is 23 (it isn't evident in the scan / file, can be seen only
by eye inspection), in other words, I'm getting the normal log 1.4 (or log
1.5 including paper white) ES. According to this test, the exposure time
merging steps 1 and 2 to dmax would be 4:00 -> which is not slower than
normal. Tonal progression and grainness looks normal too. (Not bad, at
least.) There's some imperfections which look like bleeding, which - by
experience - I think was caused by heavy overexposure, and will probably
not occur with correct exposure.

I should have exposed a step tablet on untreated paper too, for control /
comparison, but it was too late! Will definitely do it because it's not
pleasant to handle full strenght (35%) HCl!!! (I keep it outside, dilute
outside and only then bring inside...)

Conclusion: HCl treated Fabriano Artistico TW is OK / fine for Trad.
Cyanotype. (Probably for New Cyanotype too!)

Chistina: Thanks for the input. About other papers: unfortunately the only
viable option to me is Fabriano Artistico; I can't find the brands /
papers you mentioned locally -> have to import from overseas...

Paul: Based on my experience, I think you can get even better (if such
room exists) results by switching to HCl (from oxalic acid)...

Marek: Thank you very much for pigment suggestions. I also plan to use
Burnt Umber over Cyanotype (for the purpose of getting dark / neutral
shadows and warm highlights)...

Thanks to all again,
Loris.

2 Aralık 2008, Salı, 2:51 pm tarihinde, Loris Medici yazmış: