U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: The case of the missing gelatin: Gum printing problem solved. Ith

RE: The case of the missing gelatin: Gum printing problem solved. Ithink.

Diane,
As a punishment you should get the cat to mix the gelatin and sieze the paper next time
Marek

> Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 15:12:50 -0500
> From: dhbloomfield@bellsouth.net
> Subject: Re: The case of the missing gelatin: Gum printing problem solved. I think.
> To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
>
> Ha. Yeah, well, you would have been right. When all else fails,
> blame the cat.
>
> Diana
>

> On Dec 10, 2008, at 2:10 PM, Mark Nelson wrote:
>
> > I was thinking days ago of suggesting the cat might be at fault but
> > thought that might be too much of a long shot.
> >
> > Mark Nelson
> >
> > www.PrecisionDigitalNegatives.com, PDNPrint Forum @ Yahoo Groups,
> > www.MarkINelsonPhoto.com
> >
> > On Dec 10, 2008, at 9:32 AM, Diana Bloomfield
> > <dhbloomfield@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> >

> >> Well, here's a follow-up to all my gum printing woes. It got a
> >> little warmer here a couple of days ago, so I decided to try
> >> sizing some paper again. I have one of those little scales with
> >> weights, so I can measure out my gelatin, etc, and since I'm the
> >> only one using this, I usually just leave the weights in the
> >> scale, which is located in what I thought was a safe and
> >> inaccessible (to all but me) place in my darkroom. Well, I
> >> started measuring out some gelatin, and I realized that one of the
> >> weights (5 gram weight) was missing. I eventually found it, but I
> >> realized I must have left the door open at some point, and one of
> >> my cats must have been in there, found it, took it out and started
> >> playing with it. So I wondered if that was the problem I was
> >> having before with my printing. The weight must have been missing
> >> before, and I hadn't noticed, and so I was using 5 grams less
> >> gelatin than I normally use. I wouldn't think 5 grams would make
> >> such a difference, but rather than size some fresh paper, I
> >> decided to simply add some sizing (the 5 grams that was missing)
> >> from that earlier batch that wasn't working. So, I did-- and the
> >> gum prints I've made from that same paper, with the added gelatin,
> >> now seem to be working fine.
> >>
> >> So I'm thinking the missing 5 grams was the problem-- not the cold
> >> air. Is that possible? I also sized some new paper a few days
> >> later, in the same relatively cold air as before, and I've had no
> >> problem with that paper, either.
> >>
> >> I blame this all on the bad cat.
> >>
> >> Diana

Send e-mail faster without improving your typing skills. Get your HotmailŪ account.