U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: cyanotype question

Re: cyanotype question

I've not been following this cyanotype discussion very closely so forgive me if what I'm about to relate has already been discussed. I recently ran a few cyanotype tests on Cranes' Kid Finish white and ecru to test the effect of varying proportions of FAC and KF on contrast and speed. I found rinsing the prints in 2% citric acid caused bleeding as this scan shows:

http://my.net-link.net/~jsmigiel/images/technical/ cyan_proportion_test.jpg

The scan compares the standard cyanotype formula on white & ecru Cranes' at one exposure (1120 units on a Nu-Arc mercury unit) and processed together in either plain tap water or the 2% citric acid bath for the same amount of time.

I'm surprised by the short scale of these and will have to check the water pH. A later test run by a student indicates just a splash of 2% acid in the rinse will retain the deeper blue color without causing the stain.

Joe