U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | new edition of Photographic Possibilities

new edition of Photographic Possibilities

  • To: Alt List <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
  • Subject: new edition of Photographic Possibilities
  • From: "Christina Z. Anderson" <zphoto@montana.net>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 09:08:46 -0700

Dear All,
(Caveat: I am a book junkie as you well know...but if the economy keeps tanking that's gonna change quickly. I have to quit watching the 24 hr news channels or else I may commit myself to an institution...)

I just received the 3rd edition of Photographic Possibilities and it is a TOME. About 300 pp, lots of good images, very small type so the book is packed with info. I would put it on my "must have" list along with Christopher James. I see a number of alt list people within its pages, and Tom Persinger's recommendation on the back of the book as well.

What I first like about it, is its dedication to analog methods. Long live analog!

There's even a whole chapter on film for gosh sakes. All kinds of films, printing, toning, different kinds of cameras, and what I really like is the way there is a description of process used attached to each photograph, something that James also does and Jill Waterman does, too, in her Night Photography book. The reader is not left wondering how the image was made.

There's also a chapter on alt processes.

I guess why I am so excited about the book is that I always keep an eye on the contemporary field of photography through PDN and other magazines and the majority of shows/contests/big winners/etc. is large digital color work, and thus this book convinces me that what we do on this list and in the darkroom may be a niche market but it is still alive and well enough for Focal Press to publish a book of this type.

To give you an idea: I juried 124 bodies of work for a particular group, and out of that I counted approx 4 alts and 20 film-based.
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
http://christinaZanderson.com/