As a matter of fact, I just returned from working with a student near Santa Fe who had a scan of an image that had beautiful grain in it—we were going to make a digital negative of the image.  The only problem is that the expensive drum scan had a blown out highlight with no grain visible.  We selected the area and made a new layer, then filled the selected area in the new area with white. We then applied the  the noise filter to add grain that was just the right size, and used gaussian blur to fine tune and soften the grains..... a perfect match.

Best Wishes,

Mark Nelson
On Dec 17, 2008, at 8:21:29 PM, "Judy Seigel" <jseigel@panix.com> wrote:
From:"Judy Seigel" <jseigel@panix.com>
Subject:Re: lith printing and golfball grain
Date:December 17, 2008 8:21:29 PM CST
To:alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca

So tell me I'm wrong -- I'm tough, I can take it: That is, reading the
complexities of getting that golfball grain, and the precise materials and
supplies necessary to cram into the already overflowing cram scene, I
think.... can't one clever guy or gal make the sheet or sheets of "golf
ball grain," then for a reasonable emolument vend to the world, which
could, by the magic of photoshop, integrate it into their prints or
digital negatives?

This discussion, meanwhile, reminds me of my Swiss pediatrician: We'd been
living in Switzerland while husband was in school, came home for an
interval, saw American pediatrician, who diagnosed that each child, when
aged about 1-1/2, had feet that turned out (opposite of pigeon-toed) so
prescribed one of those metal braces you put on them at night to make them
straight.

Returning to Switzerland soon thereafter I told Swiss Pediatrican the
story....

"Oh, you Americans," he said, trying not to sneer, but shaking his head &
rolling his eyes. "One day you want to turn them in, the next day you'll
want to turn them out."

My point being of course that, just about yesterday (if memory serves),
the ideal of "fine printing" was to get the least, smallest grain
possible, preferably none at all. Probably the guy...oh, you know, the
one who did arithmetic in Roman Numerals?

(As whatsisname would say..."heh heh"...)

J.