U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: lith printing and golfball grain

Re: lith printing and golfball grain

So tell me I'm wrong -- I'm tough, I can take it: That is, reading the complexities of getting that golfball grain, and the precise materials and supplies necessary to cram into the already overflowing cram scene, I think.... can't one clever guy or gal make the sheet or sheets of "golf ball grain," then for a reasonable emolument vend to the world, which could, by the magic of photoshop, integrate it into their prints or digital negatives?

This discussion, meanwhile, reminds me of my Swiss pediatrician: We'd been living in Switzerland while husband was in school, came home for an interval, saw American pediatrician, who diagnosed that each child, when aged about 1-1/2, had feet that turned out (opposite of pigeon-toed) so prescribed one of those metal braces you put on them at night to make them straight.

Returning to Switzerland soon thereafter I told Swiss Pediatrican the story....

"Oh, you Americans," he said, trying not to sneer, but shaking his head & rolling his eyes. "One day you want to turn them in, the next day you'll want to turn them out."

My point being of course that, just about yesterday (if memory serves), the ideal of "fine printing" was to get the least, smallest grain possible, preferably none at all. Probably the guy...oh, you know, the one who did arithmetic in Roman Numerals?

(As whatsisname would say..."heh heh"...)

J.