U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Dichromate concentration question

Re: Dichromate concentration question

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: Dichromate concentration question
  • From: Dirk-Jan Treffers <dirkjan.treffers@gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 18:55:01 +0100
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com;s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type;bh=ZjoXXXK6YKzKB4NQKWzn/WhprIFsiRIY7PEr9wRwAyo=;b=lgE0rP/bCDuNrRxxuD2thzpJ06KhjId38eg+9Ar56jrR5x92ywsMIE3T44LFmL40Ck6nNQcQssoBiSUEouyw0Y3hfn8jh6k7LQsnAMqj0T5PtC4YFHVLgmxQGTngF/l+jw2RQ9am1hgse83pc1RfgbzHOtYkMONlSNv+W/4RW9A=

Hi Keith,

just for fun, check http://www.sciencegeek.net/Chemistry/taters/solubility.htm
The line for K2Cr2O7 (pot dichrom) drops dramatically when reaching 0° C (32° F).... Although it looks like the lower the temp gets, the more asymptotic the line becomes....
Try printing the graph on a bigger piece of paper, and draw the x-axis further to the left, and see where the graph would more or less be (concentration-wise) at -30°C (-22° F)....

My guess would be 3-4%. That seems not nearly enough to really become light-sensitive.... Try Chris's suggestion to use Am-dichrom. Maybe at -22°F that would result in a higher concentration of dichromates....

Good luck with the icy temperatures.... Here in Holland we just experienced -10 to -15 (night time, 5-14°F). At those temperatures, everybody is hoping for an 'elfstedentocht' (eleven-city tour, a 200 km ice-skating tour trough eleven cities, something 90% of the Dutch wants from time to time...  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elfstedentocht  )... Ok, enough off-topic nonsense.....

deejay