U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Albumen sensitiser question

Albumen sensitiser question

Hi folks

I made up some silver nitrate sensitiser according to James p 471, that is 15% silver nitrate plus 5% citric acid in distilled water.

I see there is now some crystals at the bottom of the bottle. They weren’t there when I made the solution up and sensitised some paper. I can’t seem to dissolve them, even with heat and vigorous shaking. What are they? Are they anything to worry about? Can I filter or decant them out?

One other thing, James says that coating with a rod is possible. This would be preferable for me at this moment. As the sensitiser is clear, coating under safelights is tricky to say the least. Can I do it under low ambient light as I do quite safely with gum? If not any tips or tricks would be most welcome.

Thanks,

John.